County Tipperary, Ireland
Late 15th Century
This is NOT an official Lego site
of several hundred Tower Houses that dot the Irish
landscape, Ballytarsna was built by Sir William Hackett
at the end of the fifteenth century. Both the Tower and
the bawn (curtain) wall were built at the same time. By
the sixteenth century, Ballytarsna was the principal
stronghold of the Hacketts in the area. Even though the
castle fell into disuse by the end of the seventeenth
century, J. D. White in 1890 declared "...It would
not take much to make [Ballytarsna] livable again."
significant additional damage done to the castle in the
twentieth century, John Carignan of Houston, Texas bought
the castle and the adjacent properties in 1998. You
should peruse his website [see below] for details of the
fulfillment of his boyhood dream. He is restoring the
castle and the bawn wall, currently just a foundation,and
is already training others through his Stone & Lime
Workshop at Ballytarsna how to restore the wonderful
castles of Ireland and beyond.
When the Carignans move into Ballytarsna, the ground floor will be laundry
and storage, the first floor the kitchen, the second floor the living room, the
3rd floor their 3 year old son's bedroom, and the master bedroom is on
the top floor, of course.
These pictures of Ballytarsna were taken on June 29, 2003, during
our trip to Ireland. The battlements were to be finished and the scaffolding
gone by the end of September.
of the castle
companion Chris Johns,
owner John Carignan and yours truly.
completely new roof.
of the original
Other Ballytarsna Castle pages:
Return to the main castle page.
Castles created by Robert Carney
Page designed & maintained by Robert Carney