#133 Leslie Castle
June 17, 1661 (and previous and later)
This is NOT an official Lego site
Castle was built on the site of previous castles, the
first a motte and bailey castle with a wooden stockade,
followed in the 14th century by a stone structure of
which nothing is known. The property originally belonged
to a Flemish lord, Bertolf (or possibly his son, Malcolm).
In 1294 Norman de Lesselyn swore fealty to King Edward I.
The Barony of Leslie (and presumably the castle) remained
in the Leslie family until 1620, when the 8th Baron of
Leslie, George, mortgaged his title and property to John
Forbes of Enzean. His son, William, successed his father
as Baron of Leslie, and became the first Forbes of Leslie.
William rebuilt the castle, placing the Forbes coat of
arms above the door of his new castle...
begins the known history of Leslie Castle, which
apparently was a formidable complex, with a moat/ditch,
drawbridge, gatehouse and other buildings in addition to
the tower. Within the decade, in 1661, the castle was 'demolished',
according to Martin Coventry's 3rd edition of The
Castles of Scotland . The reason is not given,
but the tower was apparently rebuilt almost immediately,
presumably by the Forbes. In 1771 the castle was sold to
the Leiths of Leith Hall, but by 1820 it was roofless and
in ruin. In 1979 David Leslie, a 36 year old architect in
Aberdeen, decided to buy [one acre plus ruin] and restore
the old family castle. In December 1985 David and Leslie
Leslie moved into their dream castle, and in 1989 the
Leslies opened their castle as a luxury B&B, with 4
rooms available to rent. A worldwide Leslie gathering was
held at the castle in 1995. However in 2001 the castle
was for sale for 750,000 pounds sterling. It has
subsequently been sold and is now a private home. The
Leslies live in the Coach House on the property, and
thus David retains the baronal title (see picture #5).
Note also that picture #3 (2007) shows no staircase on
the side wall (versus picture #4 - more recent). The door
is original and was accessed by ladder.
of the Lego Model under construction
Late December 2011 - January 6, 2012
L-plan tower began on
floor has several
gunloops, and slop ports from
the kitchen in the NNE corner.
4 the first floor
windows are in place.
5 the third floor
was underway, with the
6 the castle was
ready for its stair turret...
course, the roof.
See the completed castle
of the Lego Model
Built December 2011 - January 8, 2012
|From the SSW||From the SSE||From the ESE||From the ENE||From the NNE|
||From the WNW||From the
think you want to mess
with this Scottish family
Other Leslie Castle pages (such as they are):
Return to the
Castles created by
Page designed & maintained by Robert Carney